Sunday 20 April 2014

My Journey In and Through Mormonism, Part 2


So what’s it like being a mormon?  You may ask.  I can’t say what it’s like for other people, but I will say what it was like for me.

I thought I had found the answers to life.  Where was I going?  The Celestial Kingdom (the highest degree of Heaven, more on that here).  What was my purpose in life?  Follow the gospel, helping as many people as I could along the way.  There was nothing for me to fear anymore!  Life was great and I was ecstatic.

I’d wake up in the morning and read my scriptures.  We were very encouraged by the leadership to dedicate some time morning and night to studying.  Preferably the Book of Mormon, as it is taught to be the most correct book on the earth, but the Bible was also very important.  Before I re-entered the work force, I’d dedicate around 45min to an hour, morning and night, pouring over the sacred word of God.  I’d prop open my institute manuals, pull out my highlighters and journal and have at it marking and writing.  It was a great way to start the day.

I also prayed every morning and every night, bare minimum.  Also highly encouraged by the leadership, as it is very important to keep God in your thoughts all day.  He provides for us, shelters us, gives us comfort and guidance and helps us through our day-to-day struggles.

On Sundays I’d go to church for three hours.  I attended a Young Single Adults (or YSA) ward for; you guessed it, young single adults.  Ages 18-30.  Which I honestly thought was great, because I was meeting people around my age.  And we all had at least one thing in common: church.

Sunday meetings are split into three, one-hour blocks.  In my ward it was Sacrament meeting, then Sunday school, then the ward separated into male and female classes.  Priesthood for the men, Relief Society for the women.

Sacrament meeting was the most important of the three, though all are very important.  It’s where we partake of the sacrament, the bread and water (since mormons don’t drink alcohol) and think of the sacrifice that Christ made for us through the Atonement.  Then, for most Sundays, we’d hear talks by selected members of the ward.  They’d cover various subjects from Pride, the Atonement, Christ, Service, etc, etc, etc, and there’d be hymns and music and so on.

Sunday School was all held in one class, though depending on the ward there may be a variety of classes available.  When you first start converting to the church you attend a class especially for investigators (those thinking of joining the church) and new converts.  Think of it as the light version of doctrine. Classes were taught by members of the wards who were called to the position (because it’s taught you were chosen by divine inspiration for the role), and there was often much time for discussion and questions.  It’s where you learn the basics.  Tithing, prayer, repentance, modesty, so on and so forth.
            There’s also, of course, a class for the members who’ve been there for years.  That’s where you go more into detail of the doctrine, the meanings behind it, and how they apply to your lives and what you can do to improve yourself.

Then there’s the third hour where the men and women are separated.  Men go to Priesthood, where they do their manly thing (I’ve never attended) and the women go to Relief Society.

To be completely honest, Relief Society is a tomboy’s nightmare.  Many of the activities (outside of church) were about baking, homemaking, spa days, and the like, and it’s just not the sort of thing that I like to do, all the time.  Albeit once in a while is fun. Who doesn’t like to learn new recipes?  It also stressed the importance of the role of woman in the church.  To be mothers, caregivers, and raising children in the True Gospel of Christ.  I still wasn't sure I wanted kids of my own, but it was somehow appealing the way they talked about motherhood being a sacred privilege.

But I did enjoy having a break from the guys.  It was nice to be among women my age, talking about our role in the church and what we can do to support the men.  Support the church and raise our families.

Throughout the week there were different activities.  I can only account for the ones in YSA, because that’s all I ever attended.   Families are encouraged to hold Family Home Evening (FHE) on Mondays.  Where you get to study the gospel and scriptures with your family!  For YSA, especially in my area since a lot of the members were in the area for school and couldn’t be with their families, they’d hold FHE at the ward building.  I think I only attended twice.  I rarely went, what can I say?  My pony is my first priority.

Then on Wednesdays there was Institute.  Again, another opportunity to learn more of the gospel.  The teacher we had was really great, really fun and I really enjoyed it.  We got to have a lot of intelligent discussion about doctrine, the scriptures and such and it was so good the feel the Spirit so often.  (More on the Holy Ghost later).  It was also great, because again, I get to see and spend time with people my age and the friends I was becoming close too.  In my ward there was also Institute on Fridays, but I also rarely attended.  (When you drive an hour one way to see your horse and the chapel is 20min one way from your house, it adds up!)

Outside of those there’d also be fun things like dances (okay I didn’t actually enjoy them that much, only attended one actually), movie nights, pool parties, and whatever else we could come up with.  The social aspect was good for me and there’s a lot of great people that I met.

It also gave me an opportunity to get over my fear of public speaking.  I gave I think 3, maybe 4 talks while I was a member, and each one was easier than the last.  Until I didn’t even write them out before hand, just read the related material, got up to the pulpit and talked.  I taught a class on doing genealogy work, and did a couple lessons in relief society.

So, I will not deny that there were many aspects of the Church that were good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment