Saturday 15 March 2014

It's Possible to Try TOO Hard

Sometimes I need to be told something over, and over, and over again for it to clue in. Usually by different people, in different situations too. Recently it was with riding, and then I realised (shocker) this applies to everything.

What I mean is, there is a point where any further effort you exert into something, can actually cause a worse outcome. Eg. During shows I would start riding differently than in the warm up, because it must be perfect!!!!! But Belle would be thinking WTF? And in fact, it was much worse than what we can do.   Now I have (finally) learned to trust that she and I know what to do, and I just act when I need to.

Lately I've actually been consistently writing again. Well, minus that week stint of binge playing Assassin's Creed 3. And I've been enjoying it again because I'm not forcing it to happen, but letting it happen. Lo and behold, my quality of writing is back where it used to be, it kight have even improved a little. I may be a little rusty grmatically, but I remember it better by instinct, than by concious decision.

I find it fascinating that achieving greatness is not about putting in a huge effort. But carefully choosing what to do and when to do it, and then just letting things fall into place. I mean, I used to think I understood the concept. But now I get it. It has sunk in.

So if things aren't going your way, maybe try doing a little less?

No comments:

Post a Comment